Hello Everyone, Angie from Architecturally Organized here!
I don’t know where some of you are from – but here in Jersey summer weather is here!!! The AC has been kickin… the pool is getting used… and we are soaking up the sun!! But, not every day is going to be a beach or pool day…
Today is one of them. It is gloomy looking outside, it wants to rain any minute. The skies are gray and it is humid out…. It is not a day to be hanging out by the pool!
So on these days… or when it is rainy…or even on the days that it is just TOO hot to go outside – why not take a minute (or a few) and organize your email.
Yes – I said organize your email.
I know I am not the only one who lets their email get out of control.
I know there are more of you who have hundreds if not thousands of emails just sitting in the inbox.
I know there are half attempts at folders that never got used…. At things that have been sitting in your inbox for over a year… just hanging out…. Doing nothing except taking up space!!
So – take the time to clear it all out!! Below are some steps you can take to help you organize your inbox! Have fun!!
7 Steps to decluttering your Inbox
- Unsubscribe – Go through the random emails and take a minute to unsubscribe from their mailing list. This will cut down on the amount of spam coming into your inbox!
- If – you get a ton of emails for coupons and such and you feel you CAN NOT live without them – you can:
- A – Set up a new separate email specifically to be used for coupons and fliers and any other things that you get when a website asks you to enter an email address – see what we are doing here? This will allow you to still receive all the coupons and crap you want – without it cluttering your regular email account.
- B-Use automation – Set it up so that when these emails come in they are automatically sent directly to a specific folder so that it does not sit in your inbox.
- Use Labels and folders – Using Labels and/or folders is beneficial for items that you want to keep on hand/save. Also, using labels will make things easier for you when you search for a particular email!!
- Automation – For unimportant things-have them automatically go to a specific folder. I mentioned this above – but Automation is worth mentioning twice! Automation allows you to receive an email and it will automatically put it in a specific folder you created. It will not be in your inbox. It will not pass go or collect $200. It will go directly to the folder. Neat and Tidy!!
- Flag and Star – For Important items that you need for later – be sure to flag or star them! This will also help you find them much easier and at the same time give you a to-do list of sorts!!
- File items to keep – If you have emails from your mom of all the wonderful recipes you and her plan to create – make a folder for that (yes mom- every recipe you have sent me is in a folder – at least they should be). Seriously though – If it is important, create a folder for it to live.
- Trash items – Everything that is not in a folder, not flagged or starred… not a “to-do”… go ahead and get rid of it!! There is no use keeping it. Let it go!!!
- Maintenance – is KEY!!!!!! I would add a million exclamation marks to this if I could – as it is SOOO easy to let things get carried away and then before you know it you are drowning in a million emails again!!
- For Future – when you get an email, take the time right then and there to read it and then decide what to do with it: Trash, Unsubscribe, Flag or Star as important, or label it and file it away for use at a later date!!!
See – now that wasn’t so bad was it?!?! Now-when the next rainy day comes…you will be ready to tackle your inbox!!
Till Next time!!